Whether this is your first experience in reaching out to others with the gospel of Jesus Christ or you are a seasoned evangelist, the following information may be the most helpful part in this manual. God has already begun your spiritual preparation by placing within your heart the desire to share Him with others.
- 2 Corinthians 5:14 tells us that Christ’s love compels us to witness to others.
- Acts 1:8 assures us that when we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we will witness because we have His power to do so.
God does not care as much about our abilities as our availability.
- You are making yourself available to be used by Him as you take time to become acquainted with this manual and as you pray about how you will use this information.
- Just as God calls you to witness for Him, He also prepares you and empowers you as you surrender yourself to Him. He asks that we serve Him “not by might, nor by power, but by His Spirit.” (Zechariah 4:6)
- Our eyes should not be on ourselves or the results of our Gatherings.
- Our eyes should be fixed on God’s power, His sufficiency, and His ability to accomplish His purpose in our lives and in the lives of others. Successful witnessing is sharing Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit and leaving the results to God.
Here are some verses to use as you prayerfully prepare for your part in Christmas Gatherings:
If you are feeling inadequate:
- “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13
- “Call unto me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” Jeremiah 33:3
- “The One who calls you is faithful and He will do it.” I Thessalonians 5:24
- “And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
- “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.” Matthew 7:7
If you are sensing that Satan is discouraging you:
- “You are going into the battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid. Do not be terrified, or give way to panic before them. For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.” Deuteronomy 20:3-4
- “Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
- “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on all the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Ephesians 6:10-11
If you are feeling anxious:
- “I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4
- “Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.” I Peter 5:7
There are four things that God will support and bless:
By Watchman Nee in “Expecting the Lord’s Blessing”
- That which God initiates
- That which is done according to God’s Word and purpose
- That which is done for God’s glory
- That which depends upon Him for success
Prayer list of specific requests for your Gathering:
- For God’s protection for all those involved in the spiritual battle
- For hearts of guests to be prepared and for obstacles to be removed
- For uniting of hearts of the speaker and host
- For love for people, sensitivity to needs, and ability to remember names
- For Jesus Christ to be glorified in everything that is said and done
- For God’s enablement to clearly present the gospel message
- For full trust and dependence upon Jesus Christ
- For His confidence, strength, and wisdom
Additional verses for your spiritual preparation:
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation–whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life–of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
- “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3
- “However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.” Acts 20:24
- “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
- “’You are my witnesses,’” declares the Lord, “’and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He.’” Isaiah 43: 10
- “May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Jesus Christ, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 15:5